How to Keep a Bright Smile This Holiday
We all know just how difficult it is to keep up with our healthy habits during the holiday season! This time of year is full of indulgent parties with tempting foods and spirits, and we are all busy planning and shopping and gift wrapping that we often forget to devote time to maintaining our families’ healthy routines.
Smith Dental Care in Tyler, TX has come up with a few tooth-friendly tips to help you and your family take good care of your smile this season.
- Sugary sweets are all around us this time of year. If you choose to indulge, it is best to have sweets with meals or shortly after mealtime, because saliva production is increased during this time and it helps rinse away some of the sugary food particles that are left behind on the teeth.
- We all need a boost of energy during the holidays, but try to avoid sugary sodas and energy drinks. It is best to stick to good old fashioned water! You can add citrus, berries, and mint for a festive touch and to enhance the flavor. As for alcohol, try to limit your alcohol intake and drink water in conjunction- too much can cause dry mouth!
- Stocking stuffers are a great opportunity to give dental hygiene products such as an electric or traditional toothbrush, floss, etc. If you plan to put candy in your stockings, try to stick to chocolate as it does not stick to the teeth as much as hard or chewy candies. Even healthier dried fruits can stick to the teeth just as much!
- Avoid opening presents, bows, knots, etc with your teeth. You could crack a tooth, injure your jaw, or swallow a foreign object.
- For a whiter smile in seconds, try a red lipstick that has a blue undertone. The combination of colors plays a trick on the eyes and makes the teeth appear brighter!
Finally, to make sure you have tip-top oral health throughout the whole year, stick to your routine! We recommend two visits per year complete with exams, x-rays, and cleanings.
If you have a dental benefit plan or a flexible spending account, don’t leave money on the table going into the new year! Call our office at 903-730-6354 or click here to schedule your next appointment!